Saturday, May 14, 2011

Gooey Cake and First Posts

Well what do you know, my first post! This is a recipe straight from my mom, who was a wonderful cook and my best friend. It's called Gooey Cake and it's about to rock your world.

 
When I made this recipe for Game Night, one of our most loyal regulars said, "Oh! I thought you just made a cake, like a regular cake." This, my friends, is so much more than a cake. It's straight up divine.

 Your ingredients: chocolate cake mix, caramel syrup, chocolate syrup, condensed milk, cool whip, and chocolate sprinkles. Someday I'll be cool enough to make my own chocolate cake from scratch, but until then this is how it stays.

Once you have your cake made, poke holes in it with the thinnest spoon or utensil handle you have. Don't poke too many or you'll damage the structural integrity of the cake.

 Then, comes the magic. Pour the condensed milk over the top of the cake, making sure to pour over the holes that you made. This'll let the good stuff get all down in your cake.

Repeat the process with the chocolate syrup...

 Then the caramel. Yum.

 When the dust settles, it'll look something like this.

 Then just Cool Whip it, then add sprinkles. Then you can lick the Cool Whip bowl. Go ahead, I won't judge you. It's good for your health. You think I didn't do it? I did, and it was 8 o'clock in the morning.

Then, cut and enjoy. It's not clean, it's ooey, and gooey, and it makes a mess of plates, forks, and knives. But it is delicious.

Gooey Cake
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 jar chocolate syrup
1 jar caramel syrup
1 14 oz. can condensed milk
1 8 oz tub Cool Whip, thawed
Chocolate sprinkles

Make the chocolate cake as directed. Immediately poke holes throughout the cake. 

Heat the chocolate syrup and caramel as directed. Pour on the condensed milk, then the chocolate syrup, then the caramel syrup, being sure to pour over the holes. Let cool, preferably overnight. Top with Cool Whip and sprinkles.









6 comments:

  1. Your mom was so special to us all. I am so excited you blog now! Can't wait for more recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome. I'm excited about your blog, as well! Your wit is perfect for blogging. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. Now I am going to have to make this this weekend. Crap, I am a slave to pregnancy cravings. I am thrilled that you have a blog, but I can tell it's not going to be good for my goal of pre-baby weight by age 30!
    Your pictures are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on, you have to poke more holes than that, otherwise it all ends up on top. I don't know about this "structural integrity" nonsense. Anywho, looks great, like the new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess this was alright. AHH, who am I kidding, I ate two pieces! One was the whole remaining corner (because you had to "even it out") SOO GOOOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. when i told you and wade that i was going to wash my hands, i actually was scooping cakey caramel off the bottom of the pan and licking it off my fingers. but it's fine, because then i DID wash my hands.

    ReplyDelete