Thursday, July 14, 2011

Hagrid's Rock Cakes and HARRY POTTER

Remember how I told you this week was going to kick my tail? Well it has. I've been making up a storm of Harry Potter treats for my Harry Potter Premiere Party today, and some of them have been more successful and less frustrating than others.

Making the Nosebleed Nougats on Tuesday night was definitely the low point, as that project nearly wound up being a total disaster-saved only by the calm efficiency of The Husband.

So when I set out to make my second batch of treats last night, he suggested (nicely) I blog at least one of them, saying that it "focused me" when I was baking. And by golly, it worked. So here, my friends, is the recipe for Hagrid's Rock Cakes.


Don't they look delicious? That's straight-up cinnamon sugar on top.

Your ingredients: Self-rising flour (if you only have all-purpose, that'll work too. See this helpful link), butter, eggs, sugar, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and milk

Start by sifting together your flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Chop in your chilled butter until it looks crumbly throughout. Add in the sugar and raisins by hand.

In a seperate bowl, whisk together your eggs and milk. Then pour it over the flour mixture, and mix just until combined (If you overmix it, they will come out too hard, like actual rocks).

In a small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon to taste.

Then just dollop it onto a cookie sheet, sprinkle a sugar-cinnamon mix on top and bake! Don't worry about shaping them, they're supposed to come out lumpy and uneven. I'll give you a tip- I baked half of mine on parchment paper and half on a greased cookie sheet. The ones on parchment paper did much better, the ones on the greased cookie sheet burnt a little on the bottom.

And.... rock cakes! A la Hagrid! Hope you're getting pumped for the premiere, you know I am. Probably pictures of all my treats to follow.

Hagrid's Rock Cakes
4 cups self-rising flour
1 cup (2 sticks) chilled butter, cut into cubes
1/2 tsp. salt
4 large eggs
1 tsp. cinnamon, plus some for topping
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup raisins
1 cup sugar, plus some for topping
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400°. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Sift together flour, salt, and spices. Cut the butter into the flour until it is crumbly throughout. Stir in sugar and raisins.

In a seperate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Pour the eggs into the flour mixture. Mix until JUST combined, if you overmix the cakes will be hard. In a small bowl mix together sugar and cinnamon to taste.

Dollop the mixture onto the cookie sheets. Sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake for 12-15 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. I like that "Harry Potter" is now a tag on your food blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were delish, but the real kicker were the cauldron cakes. I am also on a pimento cheese streak thanks to you. ;)

    ReplyDelete