Sunday, February 19, 2012

Key Lime Pie

Blecchhh. Ear infections have been sweeping through my classroom and I caught it and so did my co-teacher. Which is a real bummer because I've been wanting to make Key Lime Pie for so long and this week I finally found key limes at the Fresh Market. 

But then Friday I couldn't even taste the pie because of my sinuses. 

But everyone else assured me that it was totally delicious, so I'll have to believe them.

Your ingredients: Key Limes, condensed milk, egg yolks, butter, graham crackers, heavy cream, and powdered sugar

So first, crush up your graham crackers into crumbs and mix them with the melted butter and a pinch of salt. As an experiment I put a dash of cinnamon in it too. I couldn't taste the results, but nobody complained so I'll assume it was a success. Press it into the pie pan and bake it.


Now, beat your egg yolks and lime zest for a little bit, add the condensed milk, and the lime juice. Now let the mixture set for a couple of minutes, pour it onto the crust, and bake it some more.


And voila! You have a pie. It's that easy. For the whipped topping, just whip your cream and the powdered sugar together and dollop it onto the pie.


Key Lime Pie
Crust:
1 3/4 graham cracker crumbs
6 tbsp. melted butter
dash of salt
dash of cinnamon
1/4 cup light brown sugar
Pie: 
Zest of 1 key lime
4 egg yolks
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk


Preheat the oven to 350°. For the crust, mix together the dry ingredients and then add the melted butter and mix it together with a fork. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate and bake for 8 minutes. Let the crust cool for 30 minutes before pouring the filling onto it.


In a mixer with your whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and key lime zest for about 2 minutes. Add the condensed milk and whisk together well. Add the lime juice slowly. When it's thoroughly mixed, let the mixture stand for 5 minutes.


Pour the filling onto the crust, then bake for 15 minutes. The filling needs to be set, but still a little jiggly. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack, then refrigerate under foil.


If you want to top it with whipped cream (and I recommend it), then use the following recipe.


1 cup cold heavy cream
2 tbsp. powdered sugar


Whip together the cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Spoon onto the pie, then top with a little key lime zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment