Sunday, June 26, 2011

Zucchini Bread

I love this bread. I love it a lot. If you've never had a zucchini bread before and you don't like zucchini, please don't be scared off. You wouldn't even know it was there if I didn't tell you, trust me. It just makes the bread moist and wonderful.

I got this recipe from my mother-in-law, and it is so, so, so delicious. It's great for breakfast. Or for desert. Or for eating between meals. Or for sneaking a piece when your husband's not home so that you don't have to cut him one to be equal.
Make it and you won't regret it.


Your ingredients: Eggs, Oil, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Zucchini, Flour, Sugar, Vanilla, Brown Sugar, and Salt



First, puree your zucchini. You need about 2 cups pureed zucchini. I wound up only using 3 of those small ones, if it helps you. Man, get a food processor if you can. This is the first time I've made this bread since we trashed our crappy blender, and this food processor made this bread a whole lot quicker and less messy to make.

Then, whisk together your "wet" ingredients- eggs, oil, vanilla, zucchini, sugar, and brown sugar.


Add in your dry ingredients- mix it really well, don't let any pockets of flour hide out on you. I know it looks green. You're looking at this, saying- "How could this bread possibly be sweet??" Trust me. Please.

Then pour it into 2 loaf pans and pop it in the oven for about an hour.

Then eat this bread and thank me. And my mother-in-law. And the underappreciated zucchini.


Zucchini Bread
From my wonderful mother-in-law
Makes 2 loaves
3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups pureed zucchini
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups white sugar
2 cups brown sugar
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 325°.

Puree zucchini in a food processor or blender. Mix together eggs, oil, brown sugar, white sugar, zucchini and vanilla.

Sift dry ingredients in and fold lightly into the batter. Pour into 2 loaf pans and bake for an hour, until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean

You can also make muffins with this recipe- it makes 2 1/2 dozen, bake them for 15 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. This is one of the many great recipes for sneaking veggies to picky eaters. My kid loves broccoli but wont eat anything else green - what the heck? I can see from your chopping shot...you do need more counter space. Maybe one of those small mobile islands that are about 1.5 ft?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zucchini bread/muffins are the BEST. The ones I make are almost exactly like this. Except I add chocolate chips: Chocolate chip zucchini muffins mmmmmm. Going to need one of those asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish! There's not any room in the middle of the kitchen for it.

    ReplyDelete